The Mommy - 3:1

[postlink]http://diaphragmblues.blogspot.com/2009/09/mommy-31.html[/postlink]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVg0eNhDp5Yendofvid
[starttext]

The last time we saw Judy Winthrup, she was having her first female exam. Now she is all grown up, with a husband and two children. What happens when a job, like being a mother, becomes how you are identified as a person?




“The Mommy” or “The Trial of Judy Winthrup, Pt. 2.”


JUDY WINTHRUP

I’ve been noticing that everyone calls me Mom. My children’s friends, our next door neighbors, Jill and Robert, the couple we play Uno with on Thursdays and Jim’s boss. Jim’s boss calls me Mom! How the hell did this happen? I didn’t give birth to the world; I didn’t give birth to my husband! Well, maybe I did give birth to Jim, figuratively speaking. After all, when I finally gave in and had sex with him before marriage, he did say that he had never felt so alive. Of course, he was dead to the world two seconds later.
Let me ask you a question. Have you ever had a moment, a smell or a thought that changed your whole life? Like the first time you really looked at the stars and realized that the world didn’t revolve around you. One of those kind of moments. You know, when you go to Mexico and see kids selling bubble gum for fifty cents, and you’re grateful for the shit you have, like a roof over your head. This book, Backlash. (HOLDS UP BACKLASH.) It’s actually the book on tape. You know, like Sherlock Holmes or those romances. Just something to listen to while you drive. And it was just . . . Bam! Oh, man! It’s not about the “G” spot! It’s about control, Baby! It’s about the fact that I’m having sex with a man I call Dad!
Think about it. Seemed natural at first, my husband and I had two children. Mom, Dad. Mom, Dad. Right? Get it? He’d say, “Go ask your Mother.” “What does Dad think?” I’d answer. Talk about having a Father-Complex. Or, would that be a Mother-Complex? Jesus! I’m sleeping with a man who calls me his Mo-ther! It’s sick!
Sound cue: Judy's husband is heard coming home and yelling out the word "mother."
Is that you, Jim? What? Stop it, Jim, don’t use that word with me again. My name is Judy, Jim. Judy. I’m not your mother. Sorry, it has been a hard day.  How was you day?
Sound cue: Jim answers with the word mother.
That is good.  What would you like for dinner?

Sound Cue: Jim tells her that is boss is coming for dinner.

What? You had all day to tell me this and you are just telling me right now?!  Do you see this house?  We can not have anyone over for dinner.
Sound cue: Jim tries to reason with her, calling her mother.

My name is Judy!  And no.  Besides, he calls me mother as well and I won't have it.  I won't.

Sound cue: more pleading from Jim.
I tell you what.  I will get the house together and make dinner on once condition; you must call me by my first name.  My name is Judy.  The only people in this house who can call me mom is your children. Do you understand?  Say my name.

Sound cue: Jim is heard agreeing and saying "Judy" over and over again.
Say it again!  Say it like you mean it.  Ok fine.  Go get ready and I'll start dinner

Sound cue: we hear Jim asking the following: Mother, have you seen my shirt?

(screaming) Judyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Lights go to black












[endtext]

4 comments:

JDH said...

Dear Judy,

I can totally relate. I too have a husband and 2 kids. For the past 12 years, I have been called "go ask your mom". So I was wondering how it was going for your now that you've put your foot down? Any advice for me?

Unknown said...

JDH, Wow, it sounds like we have a lot in common! I have a video response for you at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xkRTj89Fs. I wish you the best of luck, let us all know how it goes for you! Judy W.

JDH said...

Thank you for answering my question Judy. I'm sorry you still got the mom thing in bed. That would be way too Oedipal for me to deal with. Glad you're making some progress though. I will certainly take your advice, especially with the rest of the family. Funny, the only one who actually calls me by my name these days is my oldest daughter. She thinks its funny to yell my name instead of Mama out in public.

Rebecca K. said...

One of my grandmothers was always called "mom" by my grandfather. It struck me as odd. I feel that when you call someone someone "mother" who is not your mother, you are telling the other person that you NEED them to take care of you. I found this exceedingly unfair considering that the "mother" in this instance raised eight children. My grandparents didn't have the most romantic relationship...